Phone: 325.572.3365
Tues-Sat 10-5; Sun 12-5        

Blacksmith Shop

Black Smith Shop

In 1904, people still relied on horses for transportation in rural America. The blacksmith remained in high demand.

Although this building was not around in 1904 it was replicated from a photo of a local blacksmith’s shop. The front doors were taken from a local blacksmith’s shop that specialized in making brands. When a brand was finished it would be tested on the front doors. The window in the back of the shop was very important to the blacksmith. The blacksmith needed this window beside the fire so that he could see the color of the metal in the light and know whether it was hot enough or not. As cars became common in everyday life the blacksmith had to evolve. Now he might be what some people would refer to as the corner mechanic.

This Day in Texas History

  • 1883 On this day in 1883, the Fifty Cent Act was repealed. The act, advocated by Governor O. M. Roberts and passed in July 1879, provided for the selling of Texas land for fifty cents an acre, with one-half of the proceeds to be used to pay down the public debt and the other half to establish a permanent school fund. The act opened to settlement about fifty-two Texas counties, in which the state sold 3,201,283 acres for $1,600,641.55. The Fifty Cent Act was repealed as a public necessity due to fraudulent land speculation

Contact Us

Taylor County History Center
133 N. William Street
Buffalo Gap, Texas 79508

Museum: 325-572-3365
Offices: 325-572-3974