Phone: 325.572.3365
Tues-Sat 10-5; Sun 12-5        

General Store

DSCN2869

The General Store serves as the first building on the tour of the grounds. It is one of the most unique buildings in the Village.  This modern-day store was originally the baggage compartment of the Clyde Railway Station.  The passenger section of the Depot is located on the south side of the grounds.  Both the Depot and the baggage compartment date to the early 1900’s when these structures replaced a boxcar as the railroad stop in Clyde.  The building was moved to the Taylor County History Center grounds in 1979, and the owner at the time, Dr. Rode, restored it with materials from other turn-of-the-century buildings from Abilene.  The ceiling, floor, walls and porch supports came from the Clinton Building, which was the oldest general mercantile establishment in Abilene.  The building sat on the corner of Chestnut and South 2nd Street.

The large bar and mirror located along the south wall, came from the original drug store in Ovalo, Texas, owned by Dr. A. P. Head, who served as the last country doctor in Taylor County.  The ceiling fans came from the Drake Hotel (currently The Grace Art Museum) in Abilene.  The bricks located along the front porch, also came from the Clinton Building.  You will note that these bricks are not all thee same color and contain tiny rivulets.  If it rained before the bricks had adequate time to dry prior to firing, the water left a mark that you can still see.

The History Center Administrative Offices is connected to the store by a short hallway and a single wall.  This building was Dr. Head’s original drug store in Ovalo.  The wood floor dates to the late 1800’s, and is from the Amen Drug Company in Milford, Texas.

This Day in Texas History

  • 1883 On this day in 1883, the Fifty Cent Act was repealed. The act, advocated by Governor O. M. Roberts and passed in July 1879, provided for the selling of Texas land for fifty cents an acre, with one-half of the proceeds to be used to pay down the public debt and the other half to establish a permanent school fund. The act opened to settlement about fifty-two Texas counties, in which the state sold 3,201,283 acres for $1,600,641.55. The Fifty Cent Act was repealed as a public necessity due to fraudulent land speculation

Contact Us

Taylor County History Center
133 N. William Street
Buffalo Gap, Texas 79508

Museum: 325-572-3365
Offices: 325-572-3974