The rise of mandatory education put an end to frontier education.
This two room school house was a luxury to have and expensive to build. At the time it was constructed, it cost a grand total of $900. In 1930, it was located in Scurry County. At that time, it was used to teach students through grade seven until they transferred to high school. The students learned penmanship, spelling, reading, mathematics, and history.
In 1938, this school house was no longer used for school. It was used to hold office elections and community events before it was moved to the cemetery for funerals in the 1950’s. In January 1989 it was donated to us, here at the Taylor County History Center.